Remember when your teen was a baby just learning to walk? And how much you, as a parent, have learned since then? Child proofing the house, doctors’ appointments, first day at school, many tears and lots of joy.
And just when you thought you had worked it all out, adolescence walks around the corner and knocks on the door! Oh boy…but just as this time bears many challenges for you and your child, it holds just as many amazing new moments of bonding and connecting.
Do the challenges feel rather big and you’re looking for support in your parenting skills and for practical tools? Would you like tips on how to problem-solve, communicate effectively and respectfully, cope with emotions (both here and there!) and experience puberty in an atmosphere of mutual respect affirming both your and your child´s self-worth?
Then this workshop is just right for you! Starting on Wednesday January 31, It runs over a period of 7 weeks with a weekly meeting of 2 hours at The Family House in Nicosia. Classes are held in a relaxed atmosphere with drinks and snacks, making everyone quickly feel comfortable.
Through experiential activities you will learn practical tools of parenting, making the transfer from class to your home much easier. Further the “Parents helping Parents” exercises enhance exchange and support among the participants, contributing to the positive learning this workshop offers
The workshop runs over a period of 7 weeks with a weekly meeting of 2 hours.
Classes are held in a relaxed atmosphere with drinks and snacks, making everyone quickly feel comfortable. Through experiential activities you will learn practical tools of parenting, making the transfer from class to your home much easier. Further the “Parents helping Parents” exercises enhance exchange and support among the participants, contributing to the positive learning this workshop offers.
Topics addressed are:
- The challenges of parenting teens
- Parenting styles
- Know yourself, know your teen
- How to motivate your teen using encouraging communication
- Problem solving with teens
- Letting go
- Scary behaviours
The class is based on Positive Discipline a program designed to teach young people become responsible, respectful and resourceful members of their community. It teaches important social and life skills in a manner that is deeply respectful and encouraging for both children and adults.
5 criteria for Parenting with Positive Discipline are:
- Helps children feel a sense of connection. (Belonging and significance)
- Is mutually respectful and encouraging. (Kind and firm at the same time.)
- Is effective long-term. (Considers what the children are thinking, feeling, learning, and deciding about themselves and their world – and what to do in the future to survive or to thrive.)
- Teaches important social and life skills. (Respect, concern for others, problem solving, and cooperation as well as the skills to contribute to the home, school or larger community.)
- Invites children to discover how capable they are. (Encourages the constructive use of personal power and autonomy.)
The workshop will be held by Gabriele Kaiser, Family Counsellor, certified Positive Discipline Trainer and mother of 4.
The location is: The Family House Nicosia, a newly opened Family Education Center, offering a variety of educational courses starting from Pregnancy, aiming to substantially improve the bonding, health and well-being of families and children from before birth onwards. It strives to support parents in every aspect of family life, no matter in which family phase they are and invites families to socialize, learn and develop. For more information please visit the Family House website and their Facebook page.
Costs: 165€ incl. Parent Workbook